This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The most delicious Kinder Bueno cream that tastes just like the real creamy hazelnut filling inside Kinder Bueno chocolate bars. This cream is rich and smooth, made with vanilla pastry cream, hazelnut and white chocolate. So easy to make and perfect for filling cakes, cupcakes, cream puffs and more!
Kinder Bueno chocolate bars are one of my favourite cheeky treats! They are crunchy, creamy and super chocolatey, with a strong hazelnut flavour. This recipe is a reproduction of the Kinder Bueno creamy hazelnut filling and tastes just like the real thing! The cream can be used for filling cakes, cupcakes, choux puffs or even eating it with a spoon – it’s THAT delicious. And guess what? It only takes minutes to make!
WHAT IS INSIDE A KINDER BUENO?
Kinder Bueno chocolate bars are filled with a silky smooth cream made from white chocolate and hazelnuts. Although Kinder Bueno bars can be covered in white, milk or dark chocolate, the filling is always the same. Most people (me included) enjoy these bars specifically for their delicious cream filling. This recipe is a perfect copycat of the beloved Kinder Bueno filling.
WHAT TO MAKE WITH THIS CREAM
I absolutely love this Kinder Bueno filling because you can use it for so many things. This creamy hazelnut filling is perfect for any kind of baked dessert that can have a filling. Here are some of my favourites:
- Cake filling – see my Kinder Bueno Cake here that tastes just like the real thing!
- Cupcake frosting – use instead of buttercream. This cream is much lighter than buttercream and also has less calories!
- Choux puffs or eclairs – use it to pipe inside cream puffs for a delicious surprise filling.
- Chimney cones – match made in Heaved for yeasted dough cones.
- Any type of pastries that can hold a filling.
- On its own – just eat it with a spoon because it’s so good!
So what do you need to make the perfect Kinder Bueno cream filling? The recipe is so much simpler than you might think, and it only takes minutes to make. This creamy hazelnut filling is made from vanilla pastry cream, hazelnuts and white chocolate. Yep, that’s all you need for this silky smooth hazelnut cream!
Vanilla Pastry Cream – this is the base of the recipe. Pastry cream is a very creamy type of filling, which works perfectly in this Kinder Bueno cream. Also known as creme patissiere, this filling is made from milk, cornstarch, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla. Pastry cream is an ideal base for most fillings, as you can flavour it with pretty much anything.
Follow my guide to making Pastry Cream here, where you can find exact quantities, method with step-by-step photos. Don’t worry, this recipe is pretty much failsafe and I have even included a troubleshooting guide so you can make the perfect pastry cream.
White chocolate – one of the most important ingredients in this creamy filling. Use good quality white chocolate, the type you would eat on its own. White chocolate for baking is usually lower quality, so I don’t recommend using it. You can use either white chocolate droplets / chips or chop a bar in smaller pieces. I like to use Callebaut white chocolate for its amazing silkiness.
Roasted hazelnuts – the main flavour in the Kinder Bueno cream filling. Hazelnuts are crucial in reproducing the authentic taste of Kinder Bueno chocolate bars. Roasting the hazelnuts makes them have an even stronger nutty flavour. You can buy hazelnuts already roasted or buy them raw and roast them yourself.
To roast hazelnuts place them on a lined baking tray and roast in the oven at 180°C (350°F) for 10-12 minutes or until they start to brown slightly. After roasting, let them cool down before handling. Once cooled, you can either leave the skins on or remove them. To remove, rub a handful of hazelnuts between your palms, so the skins can detach and fall off.
For this recipe you will need to process the hazelnuts into a paste. To do this you will need either a food processor or a high-power blender. You can adjust the crunchiness to your own taste by processing the paste to have larger pieces. I like mine to be a little on the crunchy side, but still smooth. The consistency is similar to wet, grainy sand with crunchy bits of nuts.
Caution: do not over-process the nuts. Processing them for too long will make the hazelnuts heat up and release oil. We do not want an oily hazelnut paste for this recipe, as it can ruin the consistency of the cream.
Soft (light) brown sugar – used to make a paste with hazelnuts. Soft brown sugar will give the hazelnuts a more caramelised flavour and work perfectly with the white chocolate. If you do not have it, replace with regular granulated sugar. Alternatively, dark brown sugar works as well.
HOW TO MAKE KINDER BUENO CREAM FILLING
Making Kinder Bueno cream filling is really easy and takes only a few minutes. The first thing we need to prepare is the vanilla pastry cream. You can find the full recipe and step-by-step method in my detailed guide about pastry cream here. Remember to make the pastry cream a few hours in advance, so it has time to cool down. You can also make 1-2 days in advance and store it in the fridge. Now let’s begin.
1. Once the pastry cream is ready, we can start preparing the hazelnut paste. Place the roasted hazelnuts and soft brown sugar in a food processor. You can leave the skins on or remove them, it’s up to you. Also, you can use a high-power blender instead of a food processor.
2. Process the hazelnuts until they turn into a paste. Be patient as this can take some time, even up to 10 minutes or so. Continue processing the nuts until the paste looks like grainy, wet sand.
3. Melt the white chocolate in the microwave in small intervals of 15-20 seconds. Mix with a spoon between each interval to help the chocolate melt quicker. Once the chocolate is fully melted, let it cool down at room temperature until it’s no longer warm. This should take about 20-30 minutes. Place the chilled vanilla pastry cream in a large bowl. Add the melted white chocolate and hazelnut paste over the pastry cream.
4. Use a hand mixer to incorporate everything well. Stop when the paste looks well mixed, them place the Kinder Bueno cream in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap (cling film) and let it chill in the fridge for 1 hour before using.
Optional: if you want the cream to have a lighter texture and flavour, you can add some double (heavy) cream. Whip up the heavy cream separately, then fold it into the Kinder Bueno cream using a spatula.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, the filling contains hazelnuts.
Hazelnuts are the main flavour in this Kinder Bueno cream, so they are essential. You can still make this recipe with other types of nuts, but the cream will not taste as authentic.
No, this recipe is not vegan. Pastry cream contains milk and egg, which are not vegan. However, it is possible to replace the pastry cream with a vegan alternative (plant based milk with extra cornstarch).
Yes, Kinder Bueno cream can be made in advance by 3-4 days. Store in the fridge in an airtight container. When you’re ready to use it, make sure you give it a good whisk or mix with a hand mixer to remove any lumps.
No, this recipe is not suitable for freezing. Pastry cream contains cornstarch, which does not behave well when frozen. The cream may turn out lumpy and look ‘split’ once thawed. Instead, store the cream in the fridge for 3-4 days.
No, store bought custard is much runnier than pastry cream. Although the flavour will be similar, the overall consistency will be much thinner. Therefore, you will not be able to use this cream as a cake filling.
Use it for other types of pastries or eat it on its own! Check in the post for my suggested used for this creamy filling.
TIPS & TRICKS
- Always let the chocolate cool down before adding it to the pastry cream. Adding hot chocolate over the cream will make the cream very runny. Avoid by letting the chocolate cool down to room temperature.
- Make the pastry cream a day before. Pastry cream tastes best after it’s had some time to rest. Making it in advance will make the flavours richer and the texture creamier.
- Place the cream in a piping bag when filling a cake or frosting cupcakes.
- You can also turn this recipe into a spread similar to Nutella in texture. To do this, do not add pastry cream and make the spread out of white chocolate and hazelnuts.
HOW TO STORE
This recipe contains dairy and eggs, so it needs to be stored in the fridge. To store Kinder Bueno Cream in the fridge, apply plastic wrap in contact with the surface of the pastry cream, then place in an airtight container. The cream will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. When you’re ready to use it, give it a quick mix with a hand mixer to make the cream loosen up and become smooth.
Kinder Bueno Cream is not suitable for freezing, as it can split once thawed. For best results, store it in the fridge instead. If you have any excess hazelnut paste, store it in an airtight jar in a cool, dry place in your pantry for up to 3-4 months.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will love these too:
If you’ve tried this recipe out, please don’t forget to rate and comment on this recipe. I love hearing from you, so feel free to reach out to me on social media as well and tag me in your posts!
Kinder Bueno Cream Recipe
- Food processor or blender
- 1/2 batch vanilla pastry cream
- 100 g roasted hazelnuts* (¾ cup)
- 20 g soft brown sugar (1 ½ tbsp)
- 50 g white chocolate, chopped (⅓ cup)
Optional, for a lighter cream
- 100 g double (heavy) cream (½ cup)
- Make ½ batch of vanilla pastry cream (crème patissière), full recipe and ingredients can be found here. Only make ½ of the recipe indicated on the card (half of the ingredients).
- Place the roasted hazelnuts and sugar in a food processor or blender. Pulse them until they turn into a paste. You can adjust how crunchy or smooth you prefer it by processing it less or longer in the food processor. Set aside to use later.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave in short intervals of 15-50 seconds. In between each interval give the chocolate a mix to help it melt quicker. Once fully melted, let it cool down to room temperature (about 20 minutes).
- Add the hazelnut paste and melted white chocolate to the pastry cream. Use a hand mixer to combine everything really well, then set it in the fridge to chill before using.
- Optional: for a lighter cream, whip up some double (heavy) cream to stiff peaks. Incorporate it into the Kinder Bueno cream for a lighter texture and creamier flavour.
- I recommend using a kitchen scale in grams for more accuracy. The cups used for the conversion are standard US customary cups (1 cup flour = 136g). There are many different types of cups across the globe, which is why I strongly recommend using grams instead.
- One batch of Kinder Bueno cream is enough to fill a 3 layer 8-inch cake or to decorate 12 cupcakes. One singe serving of cream is roughly 45g or ⅓ cup.
- If you only have raw hazelnuts, roast them in the oven at 180°C (350°F) for 10-12 minutes. Rub the hazelnuts between your palms to remove some of the skins, or you can just leave them on.